BREXIT draws closer; we leave the EU on 1 January 2021. This will mean a few changes for how you buy plants and how they move around. We are sure you are ready for the changes but here are some updates or reminders,
High-priority plants and plant products from the EU must have: 
  • a phytosanitary (health) certificate (PC)
  • a pre-notification submitted by the importer in England, Scotland or Wales
  • documentary and identity checks
  • a physical inspection


Please note that from 1 January 2021:

  • EU Plant Passports cannot be attached in GB.
  • For the first 6 months of 2021, UK Plant Passports may be affixed in EU member states, this is not the same as issuance. 
  • An operator in the EU will not be able to issue a UK Plant Passports because they will not be authorised to do so under the GB Plant Health Regime.
  • A Plant Passport is not just a traceability document but attests that the plants covered by that PP have met the plant health standards of GB.


Things to do:                                                                            

  • Register for EORI  You will  need this number to move goods into or out of the EU
  • For high-priority plant and plant product imports from the EU, registering as a place of destination on GOV.UK needs to be done with sufficient time before 1 January 2021.
  • Traders importing or exporting from 1 January 2021 will need to be registered for PEACH and eDomero IT systems.
  • There will be a delayed introduction of inspection fees for imports of ‘high-priority’ plants and plant products until 1 April 2021. 


Steps to take when importing plants after 1 January 2021

You must give advance notice to the responsible authority each time you bring a regulated consignment to the UK. 
You need to give notice of:
  •  at least four working hours before the goods land in the UK, for air and ‘roll-on-roll-off’ freight
  • at least one working day before the goods arrive in the UK for all other freight
  • The PEACH system will be changing to a new IT system in early 2021. You will be contacted to register for the new system when this happens. You should continue to use PEACH for pre-notification until then.
You must register for the PEACH system before you start importing plants.
 PEACH (Procedure for Electronic Application for Certificates) account -  is a DEFRA system to manage the control of plants coming into the UK and to confirm any necessary health certifications which need to accompany these are in place.
How to open a PEACH account 
To open your PEACH account, you will also need to register via the Government Gateway.
There are a number of steps involved in opening the two accounts. The first step is to open a PEACH account. Register for the PEACH system from Defra. Entering your contact details generates the first of two pieces of information, or ‘known facts’, which are used to identify you. The first known fact is your Company ID. Once your application has been approved, you are sent the second known fact - your trader number.
You will then need a Government Gateway account to log in to PEACH, so the next step is to register as a new user on the Government Gateway website - find out about registering for online government services at the Government Gateway website. You are recommended to print out the screen containing your new User ID and keep it in a safe place. You can also use an existing account, if, for example, you have registered for another service on the Government Gateway.
Download a guide to registering on the Government Gateway from the RPA website. You’ll need your User ID and your Government Gateway password to log in to the PEACH system for the first time. 
The PEACH system applies to England and Wales but not to Scotland or Northern Ireland. However, it does apply to Scottish and Northern Ireland businesses whose imports arrive first through English or Welsh points of entry. Scottish importers should contact the Scottish Government Rural Payments and Inspections Directorate on 08457 741 741. Those from Northern Ireland should contact the DARD Trade Helpline on 028 9052 0207. 
EORI number
You need an EORI number to move goods into or out of the EU.
In case of no-deal Brexit you’ll need an EORI number that starts with letters 'GB' and will be 12 digits long. If you’re registered for VAT it will include your VAT registration number.
Authorise the 3rd party to make the import declarations
Some of the companies offer full clearance services for fast and efficient customs handling and to make the import declarations and submit them directly to the customs authorities. Please speak to your suppliers.
Find commodity codes for imports into or exports out of the EU
You’ll need a commodity code to make your customs declaration when you bring goods in or send goods out of the EU. This includes goods sent to you from abroad. For more information click here

where do you import plants

For more information please click links below